Which is why Miami Fashion Week 2017 kicked off yesterday with fellow Colombian designer Silvia Tcherassi. The off-shoulder look is not going anywhere, neither are ruffles and handmade basket bags.
Miami is known for being the connection between Latin America and South America with the North American continent, having becoming in the past decades the northern capital of Latin America (you could say Miami’s fist language is Spanish). As so, Miami Fashion Week will mainly feature Latin designers including Rene Ruiz, Yirko Sivirich, Shantall Lacayo among other great talents.
Also, the fashion’s week honorary president this year Antonio Banderas will be hosting a benefit gala today June 2nd. Other guest speakers will include: Lucy Lara, editor-in-chief of Glamor Mexico & Latin America, Javier Goyeneche, president and founder of Ecoalf, Barbara Hulanichi, designer and artist, Orsola De Castro, founder and director of Fashion Revolution among others.
Most fashion runways are being carried out at the Ice Palace Film Studios and are by invitation only. But, there are other events open to the public as the Master Class led by industry experts on sustainable fashion, and Diego Torres Concert, both on June 3rd.
This is just the beginning for Miami as another Fashion capital, and we can’t wait to see what more is to come!
Image by: Miami.com
These are the most popular trends at Coachella this year which you must adopt into your closet asap!
- Off the shoulder, its been already two years since this trend came back, and it is certainly not going away any time soon. Bare shoulders and arms where seen on shirts and dresses. Gives an elegant yet sensual look for any occasion.
- Mermaids, we all wanted be one when we were little, and deep inside we still do. From shell-shaped accessories to shimmering sequined garments imitating scales, this fun trend is here to stay!
- Fringe, we’ve seen it in handbags, shoes and all type of clothing. These loose threads will always give the perfect hippie-chic vibe to our outfits.
- Chunky platforms, thank God! Fashion has already started being more mindful with our feet’s well-being, providing multiple stylish sneakers, espadrilles, flat boots and the latest trend: platforms. Platforms are a comfortable alternative for those who don’t want to give up those extra inches.
- Bralettes, crop tops what? Bralettes are the new crop tops, shorter and sexier, simply put, bralettes are outdoor bras with a twist.
- Unicorn hair, oh yes! Not only does Starbucks now have a Unicorn Frappuccino, but now everyone is into rainbow-shiny hair.
- Space buns, the 90’s are back! The hair-style we all were obsessed with is back! Poppy Delavigne and Jessica Hart were both seen rocking this cool look.
- Fishnet tights, bold black nets, pastel bejeweled fishnets and even short ankle socks version were seen. Fishnet tights were seen everywhere!
- Colored lenses, yellow, pink, light blue, you name it. Retro sunglasses were seen all over thanks to designers like Gucci and Coach.
- Cowboy boots, bring those Daisy Dukes out! Paired with floral dresses, denim shorts, and rompers, gave outfits the coolest Coachella vibes.
Expoartesanias is Colombia’s largest craft fair, this one takes place at the end of each year in Corferias. A few days ago we visited the exhibition, not once but twice, there is just so much to see, discover and admire that a single day just wasn’t enough.
From clothes and jewelry, to house articles and toys, you would just be amazed of how much talent and creativity there exists among Colombian artisans, designers and entrepreneurs. Mochila heaven is a big part of expoartesanias, you will find the most delicate knits in gorgeous vivid colors and combinations which are the perfect accessory for a glamazonic look.
Apparel also drove our attention, we discovered beautiful one-of-a-kind swimsuit labels and designers. The traditional “ruanas” where everywhere, these are hand-sewn poncho-style garments typical from the Andres region and are as emblematic as the sombrero vueltiao. Speaking of, hats is another product which was very popular among the fair, in different shapes, colors and other variations (and in this case pom poms where EVERYWHERE), a Colombian hat will scream “latin luxury”.
The jewelry section is one of the largest amongst the exposition, and filigree seems to be ruling the industry among the country. You will find hundreds of accessories and designs in gold, silver and rose gold. It is as simple as wearable art.
We hope this small glimpse on Expoartesanias will encourage you to visit Colombia and our fair!
Art Basel is one of the best events that take place in Miami. Designers, artists and celebrities from all over the world come to the city for this exciting experience. This year, fashion events have become a norm. Lots of brands and especially magazine have been hosting their own events full of cocktails, fashion and delicious appetizers.
Aside from all the parties that have been going on, the convention center at south beach has been hosting Design Miami which is the global forum for design. This fair brings together the most influential collectors, gallerists, designers, curators and critics from around the world. The exhibitions this year in Design Miami are said to be breathtaking. With big fashion power houses such as Fendi and Louis Vuitton having their own installations in the interior design area, there are a lot of wonderful things to see in this fair.
Although Art Basel is a great season, it can get super hectic which is why one should avoid going to places that are too mainstream. Grab a drink at Soho House and dinner at Komodo and you might even run into your favorite celeb.
When it comes to party attire, be prepared to shine. People go BIG on art basel and I’m talking all sorts of fashion avant garde. It is crazy how much inspiration one can get from walking through the exhibitions because you see so many interesting people that are innovative in their own way.
Photo credits: http://www.miamiandbeaches.com
Our latest event took place at the POOL Labshow store in Coral Gables and in case you missed it, we will tell you everything that went down!
Sip and shop, what a better way to spend an afternoon? Champagne, lemonade, small bites, cookies and even ice cream from VIXI Gelateria along with the latest apparel trends from European designers being showcased at the POOL Labshow and the latest FW 16 jewelry and accessories collections from Colombian designers.
We are absolutely obsessed with one of the latest additions to Malka: Baletti. Made in 100% Italian leather and manufactured in Colombia, Baletti’s creators have nailed it by introducing the fist interchangeable bag in the market. How? Baletti handbags are made up of two pieces: bases and covers, where if you purchase one base and 2 covers you will automatically have two different handbags in one. Best part of all? Each handbag comes with its individual wallet and shoulder strap. Definitely a winner!
These were one of the highlights of the evening. Another wonderful surprise was Liza Echeverry’s Wall in Motion FW16 collection launch at the event, Liza does not cease to amaze with her impeccable taste and jewels. For this specific collection, the designer has achieved movement in the pieces.
Our very special guest? Kelly Saks from Kelly’s Kloset, not only Kelly has one of the best styles in town, but she is also the sweetest! She delighted us with her amazing fashion advice and also tried some of her favorite Malka pieces like Laura Davila’s Anya Onix Earrings and Gia choker and Maria Paula Castillo’s Malia Choker.
Thank you so much to those of you who accompanied us through the evening!
Make sure to not miss any Malka events by subscribing to our mailing list and/or following on social media.